Skip to Content

City Attorney F.A.Q.

1. Where is your office located and what is your mailing address?

Answer: Our office is located in the City Municipal Building at 201 West Gray Street, Norman, Oklahoma 73069. Our mailing address is City Attorney’s Office, P. O. Box 370, Norman, OK 73070 and our phone number is 405-217-7700. You may contact us with a specific question through the Contact Us link shown on our web page.

2. If I have a personal legal question may I call the City Attorney for advice?

Answer: Personal legal questions need to be directed to your private attorney. The City Attorney provides legal assistance to City administration only and is not allowed to give legal advice to citizens regarding personal civil or criminal matters.

3. What do the prosecuting attorneys do?

Answer: The City prosecuting attorneys are responsible for representing the City in misdemeanor cases before the Norman Municipal Court. Examples of misdemeanor cases include traffic and non-traffic offenses, citizens’ complaints and juvenile offenses

4. If I am charged with an alcohol or drug offense, how can I keep it off my record?

Answer: If you do not have a previous record, the prosecutors may be able to recommend a deferred sentence. You should contact one of the prosecutors just prior to Court on your Court date to discuss your options.

5. Does the prosecutor represent me in Court?

Answer: The City prosecutor represents the City of Norman, not individuals, in court proceedings.

6. If I file a citizens’ complaint against someone for vandalism, can Norman Municipal Court award money damages?

Answer: Municipal Court cannot collect money owed to you in criminal court. However, mediation through our Dispute Mediation Program may be an option.

7. Where do you file a complaint about a barking dog, neighbor complaints or other complaints that do not require the assistance of a police officer?

Answer: You must file a complaint in person at the Norman Police Department. These types of complaints normally are referred to our Dispute Mediation Program. If the dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, the matter is referred to one of the Assistant City Attorneys to determine whether the complaint should be prosecuted in Municipal Court. The decision to prosecute a particular case is within the sole discretion of the Assistant City Attorney handling the case.

8. What do I do if I receive a citation?

Answer: On non-traffic citations, you have five days from the date of issuance to appear at Municipal Court. On traffic citations, the date to appear at Municipal Court is the date written at the bottom of the citation above your signature. If you choose to answer the charge in court, you must appear on or before the date at the bottom of the citation to docket the case for arraignment. At your arraignment, you will be formally advised of the charges and asked to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest. If you plead “not guilty” a trial date will be set at that time. If you are pleading “guilty” or “no contest” and do not desire a court date, you may pay in person, by mail or use the drop box provided in the lobby at Municipal Court.

9. What do I do if I miss my court date?

Answer: If you fail to honor your signed promise to appear at Municipal Court or otherwise fail to satisfy the charge on or before any arraignment time specified by the Court, a Failure to Appear charge will be filed against you; a Warrant will be issued for your arrest; your driver’s license will be suspended either in Oklahoma or in your home state under the Non-Resident Violator Compact; and your license will remain suspended until the charge is released by the Court and a driver’s license reinstatement fee is paid.

10. Would I be able to do community service in lieu of payment fines and court costs?

Answer: Community service is only available to juveniles who have been charged with committing non-traffic offenses.

11. What are tort claims?

Answer: Tort claims are filed to recover damages for vehicle accidents or incidents involving damage to property or personal injury caused by the City of Norman. A Notice of Tort Claim form must be filed with the City Clerk’s office to initiate the investigation process.

12. Who do I contact for a tort claim form?

Answer: For a copy of a blank tort claim form you may call the Office of the City Clerk at 405-366-5406. You can also download the form by clicking on the link above.

13. What is the procedure for a tort claim?

Answer: Once the City has received a completed tort claim form from a claimant, the claim is investigated by the department referenced in the tort claim. The departmental report is referred to the City Attorney’s office for review and evaluation. The City Attorney can recommend administrative payment of the claim if the amount claimed is less than $1,500. For claims over $1,500, the City Attorney’s recommendation is submitted to the City Council. The City Council has final authority to either approve or deny payment of the tort claim.

14. Where can you obtain copies of the City of Norman ordinances?

Answer: City ordinances are available to the public at the Norman Public Library, OU Law School Library and online.

15. What is the law in Norman about motorized scooters and untagged cycles?

Answer: Section 20-117 of the Code of the City of Norman defines a motor scooter as "any motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor."

Under § 20-603 of the Code of the City of Norman, it is unlawful to operate a motor scooter on the streets of the City unless is its equipped with:

  1. Brakes adequate to control the movement; including two (2) separate means of applying the brakes, one for the front wheel and one for the rear;

  2. Fenders over each wheel, as provided by the manufacturer;
  3. Handlebars not exceeding twelve (12) inches in height, as measured from the point of attachment;
  4. One lighted headlamp capable of showing a white light visible at least three hundred (300) feet forward;
  5. Two (2) rear view mirrors, containing a reflecting surface of not less than three (3) inches in diameter, mounted one on each side of the vehicle and so positioned as to enable the driver to clearly view not less than two hundred (200) feet to the rear;
  6. A double seating device and double foot rests (or a side car attachment) should the wheel diameter equal or exceed twelve (12) inches;
  7. A speedometer capable of registering at least thirty-five (35) m.p.h.;
  8. A taillight, mounted on the rear, which when lighted emits a red light visible at least three hundred (300) feet to the rear;
  9. A windshield of sufficient quality, size and thickness to protect the driver from foreign objects, though in lieu thereof, the operator may wear goggles or face shield of sufficient material and design to protect him from foreign objects.
    In addition, no person shall operate a motorcycle, motor scooter or moped on the streets of the City at any time, without the headlamp being on.

Under § 20-513 of the Code of the City of Norman, no person shall operate a motor scooter upon any property finally platted and zoned R-1, R-2, RM-2, R-3, RM-4, RM-6 or R-O, or within one-half (1/2) mile of any such residentially zoned property except in the following situations:

  1. Operation on a roadway as defined in section 20-123 of the Code; and
  2. Operation in a parking lot or driveway so long as such operation involves only reasonable ingress, egress, parking or storage of the vehicle.

16. What age can the rider be to ride a motorized scooter and are they street legal?

Answer: There is not an age limit for operating a motor scooter with a power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour on level ground, and:

  1. if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of thirty-five cubic centimeters (35 cu cm) or less regardless of the number of chambers in the power source,
  2. if the power source is electric, has a power output of not more than one thousand (1,000) watts.

47 O.S. § 1-133.3(3)(a) and (b).

Motor scooters that exceed the limitations set forth in 47 O.S. § 1-133.3(3)(a) and (b) must be registered with the State and require a license to operate. A rider must be 14 years of age of older to obtain a license to operate a motor scooter that exceed the limitations set forth in 47 O.S. § 1-133.3(3)(a) and (b).
A motor scooter is "street legal" if it complies with § 20-603 of the Code of the City of Norman.