I-35 and Main Street Interchange Project
Construction on the I-35/Main Street Interchange reconstruction project will begin Monday, January 7, 2013.
This is a $35 million construction project awarded to a joint venture between Allen Contracting and Manhattan Road and Bridge of Oklahoma City. The project has an estimated completion date of March 2014. A map of the construction project is attached. The construction contract allows the contractor to earn early completion incentive pay at $15,000 a day with a maximum of 100 days. The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) is administering the construction of this project.
Beginning on Monday January 7, 2013, Allen Contracting will begin installing traffic control devices to adjust traffic on I-35 and on Main Street. Traffic on Main Street will remain in its current configuration until the north half of the new bridge is completed. At that time, four lanes will remain open on Main Street but will be adjusted to a temporary alignment. Four lanes will remain open to traffic on I-35 but there will be temporary lane shifts. All outside ramps will remain open, only closing temporarily to install detours. The interchange ramps to remain open are as follow:
- Westbound Main Street onto I-35 northbound
- Eastbound Main Street onto I-35 southbound
- I-35 northbound onto eastbound Main Street
- I-35 southbound onto westbound Main Street
Due to reconfiguration of the ramps for the new Main Street Bridge, the cloverleaf ramps will be closed for the duration of the project. The closed ramps and respective detour routes are as follow:
- Northbound I-35 to westbound Main Street
- Alternate Route: Exit I-35 at Lindsey Street and use Lindsey Street to 36th Avenue SW to get back to Main Street.
- Southbound I-35 to eastbound Main Street
- Alternate Route: Exit I-35 at Robinson Street and use 24th Avenue NW to get back to Main Street.
- Westbound Main Street to I-35 southbound
- Alternate Route: Use 24th Avenue SW to Lindsey Street to access I-35.
- Eastbound Main Street to I-35 northbound
- Alternate Route: Use 36th Avenue NW to Robinson Street to access I-35.
The project involves the following construction elements:
- Replace the existing Main Street bridge and interchange with a Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI). The SPUI will include longer on and off ramps at I-35 and a wider Main Street Bridge. The SPUI will allow large volumes of traffic to negotiate the area using a single set of traffic lights mounted at the center of the bridge. This is the second SPUI interchange in the State of Oklahoma; the first SPUI was constructed at I-40 and Morgan Road in 2012.
- Widen I-35, one half mile north and south of Main Street, from four to six lanes
- Widen Main Street over I-35 from four lanes to six lanes
Additional questions may be directed to Mr. John Clink, Capital Projects Manager, City of Norman, Department of Public Works, at 366-5424.