Social Media Public Participation Disclaimer
The City of Norman’s social media pages are limited public forums created for the purpose of providing updated information and sharing opinions regarding city-related events and programs. While the City welcomes and encourages dialogue with the public, any content maintained in a social media format that is related to City business, including a list of subscribers and posted communication, is a public record and is subject to the State of Oklahoma open record laws. Please be advised that if you post materials, you participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments and any information provided.
Our posting guidelines are found below. The City reserves the right to remove comments and posts that do not follow these posting guidelines.
The intended purpose of the site is to serve as a mechanism for communication between city departments and members of the public. All comments are reviewed after posting. Comments will not be edited by the City or its staff, the City reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that is deemed in violation of this policy or any applicable law. This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. Examples are:
1. Profane or obscene language;
2. Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetrates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation;
3. Sexual content, sexual references or sexual innuendos, or links to any such material and content;
4. Solicitations, advertisements or endorsements of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency or entity;
5. Content that directly promotes or advocates violence or the threat of violence;
6. Content or comments that compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
7. Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity or posting of material that violates any copyrights or trademarks of others; and,
8. Confidential or non-public information;
9. Content that contains personal attacks of any kind;
10. Content that contains personal information (whether your own or someone else’s), including home address, home or cell phone number, or personal e-mail address, in order to protect privacy.
Users who do not comply with these standards of conduct may be blocked. Blocked users may appeal in writing to the City Manager. Upon receipt of the appeal, the City Manager will then have up to ten (10) working days to issue a decision. The City Manager’s decision is final. The decision to restrict or remove any content deemed in violation of this policy or any applicable law is not appealable.
The City disclaims all responsibility and liability for any materials that the City deems inappropriate for posting which cannot be removed in an expeditious or otherwise timely manner. A comment posted by a member of the public on an official social media page of the City is the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the City, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the City.